Tips to Prevent Water and Storm Damage
Are you aware the one of the quickest ways to devalue a home is experiencing flood or water damage? In addition, storms can devastate your home and life in a matter of a few hours. SERVPRO of Media and SERVPRO of Central Delaware County understands the frustration and confusion accompanying a major water event from a storm, and offers the following tips to assist homeowners reduce, or prevent damages caused by storms.
- Inspect the roof twice a year, or after every storm with high winds. Replace missing or damaged shingles. Damaged shingles are more likely to break free than secure shingles, and missing shingles are essentially a gap for wind and water to enter to cause more damage.
- Inspect the dwelling’s siding. Ensure that your home's siding is secure and undamaged. The siding, along with the roof, is a home’s first defense against the elements.
- Clean gutters 2 times each year at minimum. Making sure gutters are clear and water flows freely will ensure water is able to flow away from your home. Draining water away from your home will help prevent a number of problems, such as foundation erosion and basement flooding.
- Inspect your sump pump to ensure it is in working order. This should be completed every 3 to 4 months, with one inspection a year completed by a professional. The sump pump is usually located at the lowest spot in the basement where water is most likely to flow. It is responsible for keeping those areas dry, and also for protecting your home from extensive water and moisture damage.
- Regularly prune and maintain trees on the property. You can hire a professional tree pruning service. Having your trees regularly pruned will strengthen them and make it less likely for branches to break off during a storm. This is very important, as fallen branches can not only damage and harm your property, but the property of those around you.
- Most importantly remember your home and belongings are replaceable, but you and your family are not. Make sure to stay away from windows, and if possible, during particularly bad storms, relocate your family to a basement or shelter.
SERVPRO of Media has the experience, equipment, and tools necessary to handle any type of water and flood damage caused by storms. If you have water damage caused by a storm or other water event, contact us immediately to make it “Like it never even happened.”