How Move-Out and Pack-Out Services Give Homeowners Peace of Mind After Water Damage
Blog Summary: SERVPRO of Media demonstrates how move-out and pack-out Services enable homeowners to have peace of mind after a serious water damage incident.
When a home or business has sustained severe water damage requiring extensive damage restoration, SERVPRO of Media and SERVPRO of Central Delaware County also provide move-out, pack-out, and storage services. The move-out team conducts an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area by itemizing, recording, and relocating the contents to a secure location.
Four Benefits of Move-Out and Pack-Out Services
- A move-out simplifies the restoration process for technicians.
With furniture out of the way, technicians have more room to work, and they can more easily access hard-to-reach areas behind a piano, bookcase, home entertainment center, or couch.
- A move-out saves time.
When technicians remove and relocate personal belongings, keepsakes, artwork, electronics, furniture, exotic rugs, and memorabilia, they do not have to constantly move, cover, or clean these items. The cleaning pros do not have to weave their way through a maze of furniture as they clean ceilings and walls. The restoration process moves forward at a more rapid pace. Less time required for the restoration process adds up to less expense for the homeowner. For the homeowner or business owner, a quick return to the home is priceless.
- A move-out protects items from potential damage.
Some property damage disasters are catastrophic in nature and expose large sections of a home or business to further potential damage. At times, the best way to protect personal belongings in the case of a severely damaged roof is to execute an emergency move-out. Additional precipitation may stress ceilings to the point of collapse. The situation is dangerous for occupants and technicians, too.
When many structures have been damaged in severe weather, emergency tarping and board-up may not be available for a while. An emergency move-out removes the homeowner’s belongings to a safe, secure, climate-controlled environment where the dry-out and restoration process can begin on each item. SERVPRO follows a “restore” rather than a “replace” policy whenever possible, which is better for the customer. The move-out service improves the likelihood that personal belongings, many of which have sentimental or historical value, may be saved, protected, and restored.
- A move-out protects contents from further on-site damage.
The restoration process involves many pieces of equipment, including industrial-grade wet vacs, dehumidifiers, rapid-spin fans, and carpet and upholstery cleaning equipment. The move-out process protects personal belongings by removing the articles from an environment loaded with moisture, smoke, or harsh chemicals in the soot. Some items can be more effectively restored off-premises in a carefully controlled, well-lighted, and secure area.
Upon completion of the property damage restoration project, the SERVPRO professionals work with the homeowner or business to coordinate the move-in according to the client’s needs.
The SERVPRO Move-Out Process
The move-out process usually involves six steps:
- Technicians will take video documentation of the property damage.
- A SERVPRO professional will perform an initial scope of work evaluation and provide a detailed job estimate. With SERVPRO, every effort is made to avoid any surprises.
- Trained specialists will pack, tag, and inventory items to be cleaned and restored. Claim items, which are the items for which the homeowner will seek a replacement from the insurance company, will be sorted, itemized, and inventoried for record-keeping purposes in the claims process.
- The customer’s belongings will be moved to a warehouse. The items will be cleaned and deodorized. Once the cleaning and deodorizing process is completed, the items will be repacked.
- SERVPRO collaborates with the client to come up with insurance claim list suggestions for the insurance company.
- The SERVPRO team members move items back to the customer’s residence or business once the water damage restoration process has been completed or has progressed to a point that allows for the safe and secure storage of the contents in the formerly damaged structure.
The SERVPRO professionals understand both the heartache and headache of coping with extensive property damage that requires a move-out and pack-out solution. When restoration is completed, SERVPRO works with the client to coordinate the move-in to accommodate the specific needs of that client. The services offered upon move-in may depend on the customer’s insurance coverage.